Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Being the hero


I know, I know... I haven't written in ages. forgive me.

I was talking to a coworker about books. I always get a little weird about the kind of books I read. I read fantasy. But there are tons of people that judge me just because of the book I read so I usually don't say much. I just shrug with tiny smile and gloss over the book with a generalistic name (witch book, werewolf book, whatever).

And as always, I always think of more to say after the conversation is over...

I love books with female heroines.
(I guess that's kind of a double negative-ish thingy since a heroine is already always female... (kind of like square is always a rectangle but a rectangle isn't always a square) )
...protagonist, then.
(ooo now I feel all smart and stuff pulling out a big five dollar word. anywho...)
It such an ego boost for me. Especially lately with my confidence so bruised in reality. I like the escape when I get to be the one saving the day no matter how awkwardly. (actually the more awkward the better, makes it seem believable that I could actually be the character). No one's perfect, heroines shouldn't be either. That's why all the great heros always had a fatal flaw (HELLO... acheilles heel, anyone?) . It makes for good drama.
And everyone knows a story without drama is... well... not a story. It's boring.

There's just something completely empowering in seriously kicking someone's ass and being able to strap on a set of sexy four inch heels all in one day and making the guy's mouth water just a little.

I like being the superhero instead of the damsel in distress.

No comments:

Post a Comment